Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Hawaii


***I started this post a week ago and am just now getting back to my blog***

On Friday I found out that my office was actually going to be closed for Labor Day -- a holiday not typically celebrated by insurance agents due to the high volume of accidents and claims. That set my mind to racing with thoughts of seeing my baby... just jumping on a jet and showing up at his door. Not quite taking things THAT far, I asked what he thought and he seemed to be game for the adventure, so I started checking prices. Flying out Friday night was outrageously expensive, but a Saturday morning flight with a Monday night return was actually pretty feasible... so, after a little hesitation I clicked "BOOK IT" and, I think, shocked the shit out of him!

After 14 hours of travelling, I arrived at the airport in Honolulu... and there he stood at the bottom of the escalator -- a beautiful lei in hand and a big grin on his face. Being in his arms again was the best feeling ever. Since he has become a reader of my blog, I don't want to praise his skills too much -- it might go to his head. Suffice it to say that he rocks my world.

There was a fire on the island that had the roads knotted and traffic gnarled, so we spent hours making the drive to his place. Dealing with traffic is not his forte, I'm afraid, but that's okay. When we arrived, his dog, Kala was sitting at the front door waiting for us -- seems she had escaped from the back yard -- again. She is just adorable and we became fast friends, with her taking up residence on my lap nearly the instant that I sat down. I had hoped to meet his son, but as it turned out, his mom was on island and had come to get him for the weekend. While I was disappointed, I was also a little relieved that we would have some time alone.

Our weekend together was quiet and relaxed and we enjoyed each other's company. There was a sense of belonging that came over me that was sweet and calming. When I'm with him, I just know that everything is going to be all right.
Saying goodbye at the end of our 48 hours was tough and the flight home was a nightmare, but it was worth every penny and every hour - sleepless though they were. Since then, he has read this entire blog -- and DIDN'T run screaming into the night. He has also witnessed a complete and total meltdown about babies, bless his heart. Interesting thing: he still loves me. Wow.

So, today I will work in my office and do some sorting and cleaning. I see no need to put things away just to pack them again in December, so I'll down-size some more and start packing my "Hawaii" boxes instead. I can't wait to wake up in that tiny condo beside my baby and gaze out our window at this gorgeous view... to be together every day... and every night. I can't wait for Hawaii to be home.

5 comments:

tims_mom said...

:-) :-) :-)

Awesome! Happiness is Wonderful!

(-: (-: (-:

CPA Mom said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

and, P.S. the 28 hours in the air were SO worth the 48 on the ground. He is my heart...

tgov said...

you just made me jealous! I love that moment of disembarking the plane, when I get a deep breath of that ever-fragrant tropical air.

I no longer consider Hawaii my home (haven't for over 20 yrs) but I do still feel it in my bones when I'm there.

Enjoy your experience. Let it into your bones!