Wednesday, May 23, 2007

It's That Time of Year

I'm learning something about myself these days. I'm learning that I'm a malcontent. I've been working for my current company for eighteen months... and I'm over it. No, really... I mean it... I'm over it! The working weekends, nights, driving all over hell's half acre to meet with people who don't even bother to show up 40% of the time. I am 100% pure-t OVER IT!!!

But here's the problem... I'm over it every 18 months and have been for these past 25 years. Do you know how long my resume would be if I listed ALL of my jobs? If I were an employer looking at my resume, I wouldn't hire me! LOL

Yep, it's that time of year -- only this year, I think I've run out of "do-overs." Guess I'll just have to figure out a way to be un-over-it. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

ALl I can say is that if you are establishing yourself and that part is good, I would try longer. I too suffer from this "malcontent" or as I call it, itchy feet. I am slowly learning to live through the ickies to make it out and realize that hey, I can do this for awhile.

The other side of a long resume is the vast assortment of experiences you've had. And... there is NOTHING wrong with that. I have worked in the service and insurance industry, law enforcement, accounting, construction, missions organization, and churches and all those experiences have served me well. ALL of them...

OTOH, life is too short to be discontent. You have to find it one way or the other (and that is my journey...) whether it is through change or finding other ways for fulfillment. There have been times in my life where my job (how I earned money) supported my calling into something else. The job allowed my to do what I wanted, something I wouldn't have been paid for at that time. It's great if you can get paid to do what you love, but that doesn't always work out.

Just my 2cents, not worth much I say, but nevertheless...

Lauren said...

Once upon a time, I worked to support my habit -- my acting and singing habit. I didn't care about what I did during the day, because at night I got to act and sing. Then, I burned out doing both and decided that I needed a "career". It's been a constant rollercoaster since then. I get psyched up and go guns-a-blazing for a while... then when things don't turn out like I expect (i.e. I don't make zillions of dollars) I get discouraged and beat myself up to the point that I don't want to do it any more.

Usually, after three or four days, I get over the drama and go back to work. Part of it's hormonal, I'm sure. At least I'm figuring that part out. LOL