Monday, August 03, 2009

What if...

What if I hadn't broken your heart all those years ago...
What if we had married -- me, broken and wounded -- you, fiercely loyal and in love...
Would we have survived? Would there have been a bigger heart-break down the road?
As I look back on my past and as you take me on the journey through yours, it seems as if the Universe has conspired to create this perfect moment in which we find ourselves today. We have grown, we have suffered losses and we have been through the valleys - each on our own, but still in the secret places of our hearts we have carried the torch of the sweet, loving moment in time that we shared some twenty-five years ago.

While experience has both of us questioning the sanity of it all, our hearts are crying out with longing for the other... and not for the memories of the past, but for the possibilities of the future. What if we were to choose this time in life to be confined by propriety and stifled by fear? Would we squander this perfect gift that has been laid before us?

What if, instead, we surrender ourselves to the joy of love and run headlong into each others arms... What if we just say 'yes' to happiness?

5 comments:

CPA Mom said...

Wowsa. What is going on with YOU Lauren?

Lauren said...

Thanks to Facebook, I have reconnected with a dear, sweet man whose heart I broke 25 years ago. I was coming out of my relationship from hell and was in no shape to give him what he needed and deserved, so I told him that he would be better off to walk away and forget about me. He had been in love with me since we were children... he still IS. I sent him a Friend request with a quick little note - not knowing if he would respond at all, but he did... and we've been in constant contact since then. He was planning to come to Virginia in October, but we both decided that was too long to wait and so we picked a spot in the middle -- he lives in Hawaii. He is flying me to Vegas - first class - on the 21st of this month... My feet haven't hit the ground in days!!!!

Jules said...

I'm here to tell you, I married mine, and we've been very happy for 9 years through thick and thin. Some things are just meant to be, my friend. :) I hope that's what this is for you!

Lauren said...

From your lips to God's ears, Jules... I had honestly given up on EVER feeling this way... WOW.

CPA Mom said...

it just occured to me to come back here - I never come back to see if people responded within comments so I miss a lot that way. I'm so excited for you!!! NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE, deserves happiness like you do Lauren.