Monday, February 06, 2006

Cut to the Quick

Your best friend
The one you tell everything
The one who knows you best
The one who holds your heart in her hand
Can crush you with her words
Can shatter your dreams
Your worst enemy.
(c) L.M.B. 2006
All rights reserved

Yesterday, my best friend hurt me so deeply that I find myself floundering in a sea of mixed emotions. I am angry, I am hurt -- wounded to the very core of my being at her thoughtless, cutting words -- and yet I am unable to imagine my life without her in it. I want to lash out -- to say the things that love has never allowed me to say to her -- to lay low her dreams as she has mine... but what would that accomplish, save having her feel first-hand the pain she has caused me? I want to let it go... to move on... but I can't get past one question: why? Why would this woman I love so deeply, to whom I am connected not just by friendship, but by blood, betray me? Perhaps I will never understand. For now, I'm just keeping my distance... licking my wounds and wondering if we'll ever get back to where we were before this happened. The trust that took nearly twenty years to restore was destroyed with just six venomous words. That venom, though not fatal, courses through my veins, tainting heart and mind and spirit.

5 comments:

Timestep said...

I'm so sorry.

Sheri said...

oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about this. Broken trust and friendships are so hard to deal with Lauren. Many hugs to you for being in a difficult position with your friend.

Lauren said...

Thank you, everyone... it's all complicated by the fact that this friend is also my mother... oh, what a tangled web THAT is!

3outta5 said...

Oh boy Lauren. I hear you there. I lost my best friend this fall. I met her in 1992, and she was my best friend for more than 10 years. In the end, the side of her that I always knew lurked underneath, came out and bit me so bad that I have simply walked away. There is nothing that could ever be said or done that would change it between us again. It is simply over.

Sometimes walking away is the best thing you can do for yourself. Other times it is worth mending fences over. Only you can make that decision.

Biggest (((HUGS)))

G

Sheri said...

Lauren - when I first read this post I thought of your mother but said to myself - No... it couldn't be... they are too close.

I'm so sorry and I hope things can be patched up.

Hugs