Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ohmmmmmmmmm

In an effort to reach a zen-like state and enhance my life experience, I have recently taken up meditation. The type of meditation I'm practicing (and I mean practicing, because I sure as hell haven't mastered it yet) is called Jappa meditation and it relies on sound to bring you into harmony with the universal energy. The sound for the morning meditation is "Ah". It is the sound of creation/pro-creation and manifestation. As pointed out by the instructor, the sound "ah" is a part of many of the different names for God, Allah, Buddah, Jehovah, etc. I do well for the first few minutes -- other than my obsession with matching the pitch of the man on the CD -- then, I find that I start to think about a zillion different things.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh... is my first appointment at 9 or 10? if it's at nine, I'd better cut this short and hop in the shower."

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh... (affirmation - I am unlimited in my wealth -- all areas of my life are abundant and fulfilling)... I wonder when that case is going to be released for payment... I really need a check next week. Dang it -- concentrate, Lauren!"

"Ahhhhhhhhhh... I am as successful as I make up my mind to be... I wonder if this stuff really works...

"Ahhhhhhhhhh... CRAP! I forgot to take the dog out -- I hope he hasn't peed on the carpet. Come on, Lauren, FOCUS, FOCUS!!!"

"Ahhhhhhhhh... hell, just forget it. I'm too ADD for this stuff!"

The nighttime meditation is working better... it's based on the "Ommmmm" sound... as in Shalom... or Peace. I actually manage to fall asleep doing this meditation. Somehow, I have the feeling I'm going to be a very peaceful person vibrating at odds with the universe and never fully manifesting the divine being that I am. Ah, well, that's life!

2 comments:

Jules said...

LOL Lauren. I've done the same in those final minutes of yoga when I'm supposed to be laying down and just breathing and trying to focus on just that.

Thanks for the laugh, and keep blogging. I've missed you!

Jules

Mike Todd said...

Great post -- thanks for the laugh. And I'll be careful not to make that procreation sound around my wife.