Friday, July 21, 2006

The Boy Who Broke-Up with Me

My sophomore year in high school was probably one of my worst years ever. My boyfriend from the previous year had graduated and my parents had forbidden me to see him. I had to have my wisdom teeth removed and my deviated septum repaired and then I got mono and was out of school for an entire 9 weeks. Once I recovered, I spent most of my time at home, reading and playing the piano, but even so, I got accused of sleeping with practically every boy in school and myriad other offenses for which I was SO not guilty.

I only dated a couple of boys -- very briefly -- and I always broke up with them... with one exception. His name was Jimmy and he was the first boy in my school to have an earring and long hair. Everyone thought he was wild, but he wasn't. He didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, went to school every day, loved his mother, was thrify, loyal, brave and did not believe in pre-marital sex. I was smitten with him... but since he didn't believe in pre-marital sex, he also didn't want to do anything that might lead there. After one particularly steamy goodnight kiss, he broke up with me... supposedly because I was "getting too serious."

After graduation, he went on to become a police officer in our city - working vice for a while and eventually moving over to a uniformed job. My brother has seen him on occasion, as they both work for the city, and he always asks about me. The last time they ran into each other, Jimmy was newly divorced.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, as I was walking Caleb, a guy jogged by my house, with a woman riding a bicycle along side of him. I heard him say to her, "I think I went to school with her - I think that's Lauren." She yelled, "Are you Lauren?" and I replied, "yes" but they were too far away for me to ask who he was. Then, this morning as I was taking my pup out for his potty break, the same guy came jogging by my house and said, "good morning, Lauren." I said good morning and rifled through the file drawers in my brain trying to place him. It wasn't until he was out of ear-shot that it hit me... it was JIMMY! The hair's not long any more, he's BUFF AS HELL, and he's jogging down my street again! I made a mental note of the time and informed the pup that his new morning potty break will be promptly at 6:50 am from now on!

I wonder if he's over that "no pre-marital sex" thing yet? Inquiring minds need to know!

4 comments:

robwitham said...

LOVE this blog! Thoroughly enjoyed your ability to really make the reader feel emotions in each post.

Ready to take up jogging now??

:)

Ron said...

hmm....seems good looks (Buff as hell) must be on your list now...
and "willing to engage in premarital sex" has suddenly made the list as well. ;-) watch out that history doesn't repeat itself. and hmmm....maybe living by mom (and on the joggers route) isn't such a bad idea? he he

Lauren said...

Thanks, Blue! Wish I could... but, unfortunately, I have a decrepit back and can't tolerate the impact.

Ron, no... the list hasn't changed. Just because good looks aren't a requiremnet doesn't mean they'll disqualify someone. Also, his "no pre-marital sex" rule also precluded displays of affection... which is #2 on my list. So... no, the list hasn't changed one little bit, thank you!

Ron said...

"just because good looks aren't a requirement doesn't mean they'll disqualify someone".. thats an interesting thought. refusing to date someone because they are "too good looking"...i'm with you, i wont have that one on my list!