Sunday, July 24, 2005

Some times I think I've married a madman

Today, more than most other days, my DH is acting like a madman. Nothing tragic has happened -- at least nothing anyone in his or her right mind would consider tragic -- but to my DH, it seems the world is ending. I think it started with a foul-up at work -- one for which he was responsible, but for which he deflected the blame (pretty standard stuff for him - deflecting the blame that is, but this foul-up was a biggie). Then there was another mistake -- this one involving computers and software upgrades. I won't go into all of the details, but due to Operator Error, he lost a significant amount of data and some downloaded programs. Now, I would be very upset by this -- I might even slam a door or two and use a few choice curse words -- but I don't think I would load my gun and place it beside the computer. Nor would I decide that the only solution to the problem was to plan to sell all of my worldly possessions and escape on a seagoing vessel.

There have been several moments today where I have half expected to hear the gun go off -- but as I write this, I'm not convinced that it would have been pointed at him -- I think it's more likely to have been pointed at the computer. He's already slung several items across the room and beaten his keyboard like a petulant child throwing a tantrum. Just now, he waltzed in to my office and made spurious threats against the software developers (none of whom he knows and please understand that he NEVER follows through on ANY of his threats -- he's just a big bag of wind) -- talking about suing them for mental anguish or blowing out their brains. I know this is probably the half gallon of Sangria combined with the half bottle of cognac talking... but he really did frighten me today. He once again tried to engage me in an argument about being trapped in this house and talked about wanting to sell it because it's never brought him anything but bad luck. For once, I didn't bite. I told him that he was being irrational and that I wasn't going to engage in a conversation with him until he calmed down.

He seems to be a bit better at the moment -- but, honestly, I just don't think I can do this any more. I was trying to wait things out until I got my new career off the ground -- now I'm thinking I should probably find a job that pays enough to meet my bills and end this craziness. Although I've never for a moment thought that he would hurt me -- I just can't stand walking on egg shells wondering what it will be that sets him off next. And if he DID ever fire that gun in the house -- either at himself or an inanimate object -- I wouldn't want to be the one to have to call the cops on him.

Yes, some times I think I've married a madman and then there are days like today where I KNOW I have! Crimeny!

No comments: