Saturday, November 17, 2007

The End of an Era

Driving down the highway this week, I saw the unthinkable taking place right before my eyes. The center of my childhood social life was being razed. The twisted metal that once was the College Park Skating Rink reminded me of a war zone -- far from the fond memories that were typically brought to mind each time I passed it. The old structure had long since become a bingo hall, but I couldn't help but smile to myself at all of the firsts that occurred there: my first 'couples skate', which meant holding hands, my first kiss, my first broken bone and my first broken heart, as Bill 'couples skated' with Sarah instead of me as Hall & Oates crooned Sara Smile in the darkened rink. I spent every Friday night of my youth in that place -- laughing, playing and learning about life and love, about friendship and rejection. It's been a constant reminder of the simplicity of life -- of happy times -- and I am sad to see it go.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Yeah... wow... isn't it funny how specific places get us that way. And like you, I hate the idea of them not being there anymore. Your post made me think of the time a few years ago when I returned to the Seminary I attended for three years. IT was a very old building with an old heating system that when it kicked in, crackled and creaked the entire time it was working to keep us warm. It was especially obvious during the quiet of chapel. Upon returning and attending a chapel service, it felt like something was missing. I said this to one of the professors (who is like a second Dad to me) and he said "oh yeah... they replaced the heating system. It hasn't been the same since." That was it! The crackling was a part of worship in that place and it has changed so it felt different.

Oh and ((((Hugs)))) on getting your heart broke! I can so relate to the standing on the sidelines watching him (in my case, Jimmy) skate with another girl... sigh... Makes my feel all 12 again!

tims_mom said...

Ahh...the pangs of innocent youth, the heartbreak at the roller-rinks. Those girl ask boy skates, were tough on the pre-teen psyche.

tgov said...

I have roller rink heartbreak memories, too! (hey, in the 80's, didn't we ALL?) To this day, there are certain songs that make me say "all skate!" in my head. I may or may not have actually said it aloud, as well.

Sorry your memory (rink) lane is vanishing. Fortunately, the actual memories won't.