Saturday, January 21, 2006

And it's a hit... hard and fast into left field...

Today something happened to me that hasn't happened for, oh, about six years... In fact, it's been so long, I wasn't entirely convinced that what I thought had happened had really happened. Meeting with a new client for the second time today, we exchanged small talk while I finished up some paperwork and made copies for him to take with him. As he left the office, he turned to me and said, "give me a call if you're ever down at the beach and we can meet for lunch." I stood there wondering if this was just a friendly gesture, or if he really was hitting on me. I mumbled something like, "yeah, I just might do that", which in retrospect and IF he indeed WAS hitting on me, was a green light answer, wasn't it? (Stupid, stupid me... I'm not the least bit interested, but was caught so off guard that I didn't know WHAT to say.)

At any rate, I ran the scenario by a few folks and asked for their thoughts... it was unanimous, "it was definitely a hit." I guess I've grown to think of myself as 'unavailable' and I really never gave a moment's consideration to how I might respond if someone showed an interest in me -- mostly because I didn't really think anyone would! I mean, I know I'm smart and can manage to be funny on occasion -- but I just don't think of myself as attractive to the opposite sex any more. Weird, huh? So, anyway, what do I do now????? I have to meet him again to deliver the policy. I'm leaning toward just pretending that it didn't happen. I'm quite the ostrich that way.

Oh, and did I happen to mention that he's SIX YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME?!? I don't know if he likes older women or if he thinks I'm younger than I really am. I'd prefer to think it's the latter, of course! LOL

3 comments:

mikster said...

Well....if you're 'not the least bit interested' it shouldn't be a problem....unless of course that has changed....lol.

And hey.....don't ever assume someone wouldn't be interested in yourself....and thanks for dropping by my inane site.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Sheri said...

He probably saw through all that insurance business to see what a vibrant and fun woman you are Lauren and was attracted to you. If you're not interested, I'd just let it go and see if he brings it up again.... then I'm sure you'll have something perfect in reply.

Jules said...

Hey, I must speak up for dating younger men...after my divorce, I was at 29-turning-30, and dated a 24-year-old.

Aside from getting to marry my DH now, it was by far the best year of my life...and he knew EXACTLY how old I was.

Have fun dipping your toe back in the dating pool, my friend.

Jules