Sunday, January 22, 2006

Grace

Let me preface this post by saying that I don't think of myself as a "religious" person -- but I am a spiritual person. I'm also a musician and I express my spirituality by joining voices with other musicians in a choir -- a choir that presents beautiful expressions of God inside a church. Perhaps it's hypocritical of me -- because I obviously do not hold to all of the tenets of this particular church, as you will read below -- but the music draws me there and I find a connection with my Source within its soaring descants.

That being said, today's sermon was on grace...

Pronunciation: 'grAs
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin gratia favor, charm, thanks, from gratus pleasing, grateful; akin to Sanskrit grnAti 'he praises'


Webster's defines grace as 'unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification -- a virtue coming from God -- a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace.'


Also, (2) disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency -- a temporary exemption : REPRIEVE


Synonyms are APPROVAL, FAVOR, MERCY, PARDON

The New Testament reading was from Romans and the Hymn of Praise was Amazing Grace. I have to admit that the concept of grace is beautiful -- regardless of our sins, God loves us and forgives us. Isn't that what parents do? I think of the grace my parents have shown me... the grace I have shown others and others have shown me... but I get stuck on the whole "wretchedness of man" and "original sin" concept. I've always had trouble with that. You see, I believe that our energy (essence, soul, spirit) comes from the source of all energy (God -- "and God created man in His image and likeness and breathed life into his nostrils") and if that is the case, then man is NOT wretched simply because he exists... he is wretched when he exists out of harmony with his Source. I think that we are born with everything we need to exist in harmony with our Source and we spend our lives moving away from that knowledge with which we're born.

While I believe that we need to practice the art of grace (2nd definition) in our lives, I'm more inclined to believe that our 'salvation' if you will, comes from the knowledge of our Source and our willingness to become one with it (Him). Perhaps the path is similar -- turning away from things that take us away from our Source and concentrating our energy on being in harmony with that Source (turn from your sinful ways and follow God)... I just choose to believe that God did not create weak and wretched creatures, but beautiful, graceful expressions of Himself.

No comments: