Monday, January 30, 2006

An Odd Compulsion

For the past 48 hours, I have felt compelled to set my affairs in order -- to write down my final wishes -- to appoint my executors and divvy up my goods. I can't explain this compulsion -- I'm not ill, I have no desire or plan to end my own life and I know of no plots against me... but not since the day of my grandfather's death have I felt such a compelling need to get something DONE. On that day, I was scheduled to attend a conference and I could NOT bring myself to leave the house. The prevailing thought in my mind on that day was, "I have to get my house in order" -- so I cleaned and did laundry and waited -- until finally the phone rang and my mother's voice on the other end made it all clear... my grandfather was gone.

So, this morning, I completed the document. My wishes have been made clear, my plans laid forth -- now I just need to get someone to witness my signature. I hope that I'll have a good laugh about this in a few months' time.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Just be careful out there, sweet pea. That is one phone call I don't want to get.

Ever.

Big hugs...I know the drive to take care of stuff like that...it hits now and then.

Jules

Timestep said...

Lauren,

With a huge change in life, it's not surprising that you would want to re-arrange things.

But, as Jules said, be careful!

Kirsten