Thursday, December 09, 2010

Day Nine: Party

Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

===========================================================
First, I have to say that we just don't wear socks here in Hawaii - which means that a good pedicure is a must at all times! That being said, the social gathering that had me kicking off my slippahs and kicking up my heels this year was my birthday celebration.

For most of my life, my birthday was a family affair - cake and punch at my grandmother's house. In fact, I don't recall ever having a birthday party that included anyone but family. Sweet sixteen, eighteen, twenty-one... even my fortieth came and went without so much as a tacky noise-maker or paper hat.

This year seems to have made up for it ALL! All day, I was led to believe that my then boyfriend was taking me out to dinner. Instead, I was treated to a surprise birthday party at one of my favorite spots on the island, surrounded by a dozen or so wonderful friends. But wait, there's more {in her best Ginsu knife ad voice}!

After receiving my gift - a gorgeous KORG digital piano - I noticed that champagne was being poured. Then, my sweet man called me up in front of the whole room and asked me to marry him, presenting me with a blindingly gorgeous heart-shaped diamond ring. To top it all off, as if that weren't enough, he remembered my favorite birthday cake - coconut - or haupia as it's called here in Hawaii. And while it wasn't my Nannie's coconut cake, it was beyond delicious. All-in-all, it was a perfect night.

I'm looking forward to February 5, 2011 as my top party for the coming year, as this is when I will marry the love of my life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lauren, I haven't read your blog in a while. SO happy for you! You deserve to have a wonderful and happy life! Congrats!

Tracey- from the old TTC PAL days