Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Day Seven: Community

Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

====================================================
Many days during this past year, I have felt like a community of one. Moving so far away to a place where you really only know one person has a way of doing that, you know. Thankfully, I became a part of a wonderful online community some 10 years ago, in the midst of my struggle with infertility and miscarriage. This community has held together and these wonderful, amazing women have stood by me - from all across the country - through thick and thin. Without them, the past twelve months would have been, at times, unbearable.

In addition to my online community and the wider world of Facebook - which allows me to keep up with friends from all stages of my life, I have discovered two new communities here in Hawaii. The first is what most would consider completely unlikely for me - a motorcycle club - and I'm not talking about your weekend Harley riders either. This group of veterans, while honoring their charter by being active in veterans affairs, earns their patches. It's kind of like having a slew of big brothers - not of the Orwellian variety, I might add. With this community, I know that whenever my man is travelling, help is just a phone call away. It's like family... with colors and cuts.

The second community I discovered this year is an association chartered to protect the interests of enlisted seamen - Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. My fiance' is a retired Marine and currently serves as President of the Honolulu Branch of the organization. Here I have found lots and lots of surrogate grandparents, as we are likely the youngest participants on the rolls. I will take on a more formal role once we are married and I join the ranks of the Auxiliary Unit.

In 2011, I would like to find a music community. I'm sorely missing my band, my choir and my fellow musicians back home. My soul needs that outlet.

No comments: