Thursday, February 24, 2005

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire (or should that be fiar?)

It just amazes me when people lie about things when there's no reason to. Now, granted, in principle, it's never a good idea to lie, but there are those moments when it's the safest thing to do. For example, when your mom buys you underwear for Christmas -- one wouldn't dare say, "good grief, mom... couldn't you get me something GOOD for Christmas instead of this granny underwear?" Instead, one politely says "thank you, that's just what I needed." You get my drift -- there are times when untruths are at least understandable if not downright preferable to the cold hard truth.

So, then, why is it that someone would invent a story about something that's a complete non-issue. Everyone knows by now that I resigned from my job at the brokerage... so I arrived at work this morning and the boss' car was already in the parking lot -- something that NEVER happens... but, when I get to the office we share, there are no lights on and it doesn't appear that she's come in. About an hour later, she comes in and I say in a very lighthearted tone, "I thought I saw your car in the parking lot when I came in -- where have you been hiding?" and she fabricates a story about being pulled in to a meeting with one of the partners of the firm. Later in the day, the receptionist asks me how the boss' interview went this morning... I replied that I was unaware of any interviews and was told that first thing this morning, the boss interviewed this blonde for my job. What was the purpose of this lie? I know I'm leaving, I know I need to be replaced, I know that the only way to accomplish this is to interview people. What gives?

Now, keep in mind that this is just one lie of MANY over the past year and a half. She lies to everyone: clients, carrier reps, friends, colleagues -- but it's usually either an attempt to manipulate people or to cover her ass. I don't know why I thought I should be any different... but I certainly didn't think she lied just for the hell of it, ya know? Someone should put a Pinochio curse on that woman. She'd be unable to stand upright within 24 hours. Gack! I hate liars.

No comments: