Sunday, May 07, 2006

Happiness is...

As I prepare to leave town for a few days for a conference, the thoughts of leaving my puppy who worships the ground I walk on just breaks my heart. I've grown accustomed to him snuggling up to me every time I sit down... to his puppy kisses and his care-free, jubilant style of play. I often think that if I were half as joyful about my life as Caleb is about his that I would be the happiest person on earth. All he needs is a little food, a good chew toy and an occasional belly rub and he's so happy his entire body wags.

I'm reminded of the story of a frail elderly lady who, after losing her dear husband, was being admitted to a nursing home. As she was being led to her new room, her attendant was describing it for her. She exclaimed, "oh, I LOVE it!" The attendant said, "but you haven't even seen it yet!" Her response, "Oh, I don't need to see it to know that I love it. You see, happiness is something you decide on ahead of time."

Today, I have decided to be happy.

No comments: