Sunday, April 26, 2009

Adieu to the Piano

Adieu to the Piano: Attributed to Beethoven posthumously, this piece expresses a love for the piano forte and in its minor key development, the sadness at saying adieu.

Today, I'm taking pictures of my 1927 Steinway A-III Heirloom grand to send to a dealer who has expressed an interest in purchasing it from me. It hurts my heart to have to sell this gorgeous instrument with the warm, rich tones -- but given the fact that I'll likely be moving twice in the next 18 months and need to maintain two households for the foreseeable future, I see no alternatives. It's a time of change for me right now and, quite frankly, I'm not dealing with it very well at all. In addition to selling the piano, I'm facing separation from my baby boy - Caleb; the sale of my grandmother's house where I've lived since her passing; taking a step backward in my career; and divorcing my husband of nine years.

It struck me the other day that I have spent nearly a quarter of my life with this man -- some of the most difficult years of my life. I would like to say that I'm handling it all with grace and aplomb, but I'm not. I know that, ultimately, I will come through it all - as I always have - and will be a better, stronger person for having done so. It's just a tough patch at the moment and my place of solace - at the keys - will be absent for the duration.


2 comments:

Timestep said...

I'm sorry that you are losing so much. I'm looking forward to hearing that you will find it all worth while a year from now. Many hugs (and man, that piano is beautiful!)

Ann Smith said...

Ok, WHY exactly are you facing separation from Caleb? Isn't he YOUR dog?

That is a beautiful piano.

HUGS Lauren

Ann