Tuesday, December 06, 2005

And we wonder why our kids are coming out of school illiterate

I am appalled... simply appalled. I keep meeting teachers -- both secondary and post-secondary -- who seem to be incapable of communicating properly. I thought teachers were supposed to know the difference between they're, their and there and be well versed in the proper use of grammar. I thought teachers were supposed to be capable of critical thinking. I thought teachers were supposed to know more than their students.

It just never ceases to amaze me that school systems and post-secondary institutions hire people who are incapable of any of the above. What's the deal? What gives? Why are these people given teaching credentials? I was merely RAISED by a teacher and I would never THINK of dangling participles or ending a sentence with a preposition, or using the wrong verb tense. I'm not perfect -- I readily admit that -- and I'm sure that if someone looked closely at my blog there would be an error or two that I've missed or days when I was going for emotion over technical perfection; however, I'm not a teacher. Neither my instruction nor my example is going to have any deleterious effects on young minds.

I am saddened by the level of mediocrity to which this country has fallen. Is there any end in sight? When are we going to stop accepting this and make a stand! If we paid teachers a wage on par with the importance of their duties then, perhaps, we'd get the brightest and the best instead of those for whom it's a last resort.

Our children deserve better.

1 comment:

Naughti Biscotti said...

Several people in my family home school their kids. Now... I may know the proper use of "their, they're and there" but... hell... I ain't qualified to teach. I have to rely on the public school system to teach academics to my children.
I work in employment services/ recruitment and I agree with you...
you get what you pay for. Increase their wages and we might find better qualified teachers.