Friday, December 30, 2005

Old People

I love old people. This realization was brought to the fore once again yesterday as I met with a retired couple -- he in his late 70's, her in her 60's. The husband was retired military -- a high ranking officer -- the wife emigrated from another country and worked on "secret projects" for the government. A simply delightful couple.

I sat for nearly an hour listening intently to their tales of world travel... exotic ports of call... the things they love. It was delightful to see the twinkle in his merry blue eyes as he spoke of his love for music... a love that has been quieted by the ravages of Parkinson's disease... to see the tender way she cares for him.

I love old people... and perhaps there's a calling in that. Perhaps as I start this new year, I'll find a place to volunteer -- to read or perhaps deliver meals. I love old people... and, as evidenced by the gallant kiss bestowed upon my hand as I departed their home, old people love me too.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

There you go, Lauren. I takes a calling to love old people. That comes from someone who struggles with it, even as their pastor. I have had to learn it, it is not in me. May you find a way to express this gift and love...

Sheri said...

I love old people too. They have so many memories and stories to tell. I hope you find what your calling truly is.