Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A House Divided

"Take your cat and leave my sweater... we've got nothing left to weather..."
That's where we are this morning -- only, in true fashion, there's a twist. Mr. Small has turned his nose up at everything we own. It went something like this:

Mr. Small: F***, I guess I'm going to have to buy all new pots and pans.
Me: We can divide up what we have. There should be enough for two single people.
Mr. Small: Nah... I'd rather have a whole set of the ones with the copper bottoms... what are they called?
Me: Revere Ware?
Mr. Small: Yeah, that's it. I'll get me a brand new set of those. (sulking) Guess I'll have to buy a new sofa too.
Me: You can have the reclining sofa which I just HAVE to add is the one HE picked out and I abhor
Mr. Small: (grimacing) Eh, it's really not comfortable enough to sleep on... I want one like my old one that's more comfortable. Do we still have the dishes from when I moved out last year?
Me: No, we sold those at the garage sale. I have enough of Nannie's that I can give you half.
Mr. Small: No, that's okay... I'll buy me some new ones.
Me: Really, it's okay... there are twelve in the set and I'll never need that many.
Mr. Small: (wrinkling up his nose) I really don't like those... I'd rather have my own. Do we have an extra coffee maker?
Me: Why don't you take the one with the timer the one he INSISTED on buyingand I'll just pick up a small two-cupper?
Mr. Small: That's okay... I don't like that one anyway... I'll get a better one. (dejectedly) I guess I can sleep on whatever sofa I buy.
Me: If you'd like, you can take the bedroom suite...
Mr. Small: Hmmm... maybe you could just pay me half of what we paid for it...
Me: I don't have that kind of money laying around... sorry.

TEN MINUTES LATER:
Mr. Small: I hope you don't mind if it takes me a while to move out. This move is going to be expensive.
Me: What kind of timeline were you thinking about?
Mr. Small: At least until after Christmas. My greencard is about to expire and I want to apply for citizenship... something he's been PROMISING to do for 6 years and for which MY parents gave him the money... which got frittered away ages ago
Me: I'm sorry, that doesn't work for me. Perhaps if you economized a bit and didn't insist on buying everything new it wouldn't be such a stretch... but then, I forgot, you're too good for hand-me-downs. December 1st -- that's the deadline.
Mr. Small: Well, maybe I'll just sell everything I own and buy a boat.
Me: Yeah... you do that.
-- end--

That's it. I'm done being generous. Can you BELIEVE this guy? He also had the audacity to ask for his "share" of the equity in the house... not two months ago he signed a quit claim deed and I refinanced in my name only. What a nimrod. There IS no equity in the house!

Gentle readers, I never intended this to be a chronicle of a divorce... it just so happens that that's where my life is at the moment... I hope to return to some witty repartee at some point in the near future. For now, I just need to VENT! Thanks for your support.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Gentle Readers? Not ME!

Hon, whatever you want to write here, feel free. That's what a blog is for. It's a great place to vent (as is the board), and to get some advice as needed.

We're here for ya.

Jules

p.s., I was thinking of sending him a Bed, Bath & Beyond Gift Certificate. Where should I mail it? LOL. Just kidding. You'll get one before he does, and only after he's gone so he can't claim "HALF!"

Tammy said...

Vent away, my dear!!!! You need this space and I am ready to ride with you through this, well, as best I can from 1000s of miles and another country away. I don't have much advice most time 'cept "take care of you, and Caleb".

My goodness, he is a piece of work. And that is all I can say without needing a good mouth washing with a bar of soap. All I know is you have the patience of...100 of me!!! Hang in there, my friend...