Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Political Statement

Along with approximately 42,917 other Virginians, I made my statement to the Republican Party of Virginia yesterday. What I said, if they care to listen, is that I'm not going to vote for right-wing candidates who run negative campaigns frought with attack ads that say nothing of what the candidate himself will do -- only what 'evils' his opponent will do. What I said is, I want the party to return to its roots -- that of limited powers of the Federal Government and fiscal conservatism. What I said is, give me a candidate with substance -- not one who speaks in Bushesque soundbytes. What I said is, come on, Virginia, we can do better than this!

I am so very weary of hearing people say, "I'm voting for the lesser of two evils." People, evils triumphs when good men do nothing... and if we continue to vote for these 'lesser evils' we're still just getting 'evil.' My vote was cast for a Republican moderate who ran as an independent -- a candidate very few people knew anything about, because the two-party system in this country has become so powerful and so manipulative that they will not allow other voices to be heard. It's sad, it's maddening, it's so un-American.

There is so much more I could say on this topic, but I am faced with a two hour drive to Richmond this morning for a training class. Suffice it to say that in this blogger's opinion, Jerry Kilgore reaped what he sowed -- if you sow strife, you'll reap strife -- and I would be willing to bet that there is a great deal of that in his camp this morning.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Nicely said Lauren. I wish I was half as verse in writing as you are.

Counting downt he days along with you.