Friday, November 25, 2005

A Turkey of a Day

Yesterday was an interesting day: a Thanksgiving Celebration on one side of the street, juxtaposed with a spouse moving out on the other. It made for an odd mix of emotions. At one point, we actually had an ARGUMENT over a garlic press!

Mr. Small: Well, one thing I'm taking for sure is MY garlic press.
Me (in one of my less-than-magnanimous moments): YOUR garlic press? My ass! That's MY garlic press. I bought it at Angela's Pampered Chef party in 1999!
Mr. Small: Nuh-uh... I bought this at Williams-Sonoma in Pennsylvania.
Me: I don't think so... look... right here on the handle... PAMPERED CHEF! When have YOU ever been to a Pampered Chef party? (Game, set and match!)

That incident aside, nostalgia had been creeping in and causing me to be a bit weepy, but this morning brought me close to a cure for that! I told Mr. Small that I would help him get the new apartment ready -- by doing the wifely stuff -- like washing and ironing curtains, packing up the dishes and the pots and pans. So, this morning, I'm standing at the ironing board, starching curtains while HE sits on his fat ass in the bedroom playing Halo 2. Ahhhhh... thank you for that dose of reality!

The one for whom I feel the most sorry in this whole mess is our puppy. He doesn't know quite what to think of all of the boxes and the hustle and bustle. I hope he won't be too sad.

No comments: